Monday, December 24, 2007

Not a creature was stirring...

except maybe this newly completed mouse from Susan B. Anderson's "Itty Bitty Nursery!"

So, tonight the still-stirring mouse and I wish you a very Merry Christmas!!!

Saturday, December 22, 2007


It's finished! With no more tinking or frogging.

Whew! I thought that one might do me in as a knitter...

But ain't it purty? :-)

I know my next two charity projects, but first a little one just for fun: I'm making a mouse from "Itty Bitty Nursery" for a coworker who laughed and laughed when she saw him. He's so cute!

I just hope he doesn't have any eyelets...

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Oops! I Did It Again...

Yes, I screwed up on an eyelet row again. Twice. Tinked 90-odd stitches, attempted to repair, discovered another mistake 2 rows down. Frogged three rows. Again. Talk about de-ja-vu! UGH!!

I guess now I know why I have no interest in knitting lace :-)

The good news: I think I'm done with eyelet rows. Now let'e see how many ways I can mess up my decreasing...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Just Call Me Tinkerbell. Or the Frog Queen.

Here's a sneak peek at my Caps for a Cure project:

You almost didn't see this. Yesterday on my second set of eyelet rows I discovered that I was off by 2 stitches. Huh? How'd that happen? After much thought, I decided to tink to the screwup I identified. 90 stitches of tinking. Oy.

I did it! With no twisted stitches. I re-knit the row, only to discover that indeed, there was another problem. Two rows down. On the other eyelet row. I spent much of the afternoon contemplating my possible solutions.

Are you serious? That's over 300 stitches!

Frog to the row I need to fix?
Again, are you serious? Frogging in the round? You? Might as well frog the whole darn thing and start over!

I am very happy to report that I did frog to the offending row, and when it was all said and done, I had my original 104 stitches, present and accounted for. And not one of them was twisted. Thank you, Lord!

Now let's see how many more eyelet rows I can mess up before this is finished...

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Introducing Frank

So I finally got back on track. As tempted as I was to cast on another project because I despise finishing, I forced myself to finish my boy bear for the Mother Bear Project.

Everyone, meet Frank, aka Ol' Blue Eyes :-)

My original plan was to make a sister for little Frank, but I think I'm gonna let him hibernate for a while first. I have a feeling that if I actually made socks, I would suffer from second sock syndrome. I get bored, which is why I've usually only made any pattern once or twice. Not that it's a bad thing - it's made my Ravelry projects more interesting since it's not photo after photo of socks :-) (No offense if that's you.)

After reading this post on the blog "Now Norma Knits," I felt a bit guilty for only making one pair of mittens for the Soaring Eagles project. I thought about making a pair for a boy, and another for a girl. But I'd never made mittens before and didn't know how long it would take (and see the last paragraph about repeating patterns), so I only made one unisex pair.

So, to alleviate my guilt over not doing more for Soaring Eagles I cast on a chemo cap for the "Caps for a Cure" group on Ravelry and Yahoo. I'm using the pattern for an eyelet hat that's in the book "Knitting for Peace" by Betty Christiansen. Photos will follow, but right now it's dark out so my pictures would stink. And I only have a rolled brim so far. Not exactly gripping subject matter, unless you're a total knitting addict like me...

Friday, December 7, 2007

Soaring Eagles Project: Complete!

My mittens for the Soaring Eagles Project are done! Unless I decided to embellish them. Maybe a snowflake or something unisex? I'm torn. Maybe I should just put them in the mail before the deadline passes me by...

The are made from Paton's Classic Wool in black, so they should be warm on some little hands! It's the small child pattern, and looks like they would fit my 3 year old.

Chalk up another finished object (FO)!

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Another Charity Grabbed My Attention :-)

So, I read this post on Ravelry about a group who is over 200 donations SHORT of the yearly goal for needy in their area. They need kids stuff, among others, and needy kids just break my heart. So, my Mother Bear project is waiting for stuffing while I whip up a pair of mittens for the Soaring Eagles Project. These are my first mittens ever.

So far so good!!

Check out the Soaring Eagles blog for more information...